Tuesday, 23 December 2014

'Tis The Season book tag

Ok, I have decided to do the 'Tis The Season book tag from booktube. Because why not, I ask you? Why not? Also it's Christmas Eve Eve and I've finally worked out how to schedule posts which has taken out so much anxiety. 

There's a list of questions. I wasn't officially tagged by anyone but a bunch of people said 'If you want to do this tag I CHOOSE YOU!' so...


1. Do you have a favourite Winter read?

I do! I love The Hobbit. Not a traditional winter read but I tend to come back to it around christmas time. I also love love love The Chronicles Of Narnia and I'm plotting a reread of some of them (Or all of them!) In the new year. My parents bought me the book of all the stories one year and it weighs a ton. I mean that in a good way. So much stories!

2. Find a book with blue on the cover


I chose The Circle of Magic books by Tamora Pierce. If you've read before you'll know of my deep and abiding love for her writing, especially the Emelan books. Here's a picture to show you the covers I'm talking about in all their blue glory. These  books are about four kids who have bad pasts who come to Winding Circle which is a temple, after being 'discovered' in various predicaments by Niko. There they find...well, what they need really and they become a family. Each has a subtle sort of magic which is occasionally not so subtle. These books are wonderful. Good for any time of year but they're set in the summer which is good for the winter when you need warming up! (My copies don't match but they still count. Because I think it should.)










3. Find a book you’d use as the star on a Christmas tree

I'd like to use The Language Of Others by Clare Morrall as the star on my mythical christmas tree for a few reasons. For one it reminds me of how I feel at this time of year. Every year there is what I call The Inevitable Christmas Meltdown (one reason I don't decorate my room) and I have to run away because it's so overwhelming. The story follows a woman throughout her life, her childhood and onwards where she has a son and a husband. SPOILER ALERT If you've read the book you'll know what I mean when I say that Asperger's is part of the reason she feels this way. I don't know if I have Asperger's - it's been suggested more than once and we did look into it and the questionnaire said no, but it keeps cropping up so there's that. Even the image on the cover reminds me of a lot of times around christmas when I was small. But I relate a lot to this book at this time of year. Equally as I have no friends or family with Asperger's I have no idea if this book is accurate or not so I'm not going to say anything in that direction. But like I said, this time of year I feel very much like the book describes. 

Also it's yellow. I like yellow. 




4. Pick one fictional place that would be perfect for a Winter vacation!

Ooh. This is hard. I think it goes without saying that Panem is out of the question! I think I'd pick The Old Kingdom from Garth Nix's Abhorsen series. More specifically I'd choose the library of the Clayr in Lirael. Again, I relate a lot to Lirael. Especially the library element! I'm a big fan of libraries. Especially ones where... well, I'll let you read it. But suffice to say I carried this book in my school bag for more than a year so my copy is falling apart. I might not quite fit with the Clayr but I have a huge desire to see their library. 

5. Pick one fictional character you’d take with you on your Winter vacation

Another hard one. I think I'd pick Clare Waverly from Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. She might be a little... not sure of people. And I can't cook but I'm always interested in that kind of magic. Plus I get the feeling she'd (pre-book at least) enjoy a quiet  christmas! Plus the Clayr would probably love her magic and cooking and all those things. And as I'm assuming Lirael will be there because it's her world we three could have a quiet magic tea sipping time with The Disreputable Dog and now I really want to reread Lirael and Garden Spells and and all the books... 


6. Name one book on your Wishlist this year

One book on my wishlist this year is Neil Gaiman's Book of Death companion to The Sandman series (Twelve books!) It's a graphic novel all about Death. Death is a woman, which I like. A friendly woman who hugs people and Dream says (SPOILERS AGAIN) she is much kinder than he is. 

I'm not sure why but I love that. Also someone did a fanart of her and Sherlock which I love but can't find right now. Of course that assumes she actually meets Sherlock and stuff but I'm willing to suspend the disbelief. Part of me really hopes Neil Gaiman is some kind of prophet or something and this is actually who Death is. That is how much I love her. 


7. Favourite Holiday drink, treat, & movie?

My favourite holiday drink has to be hazelnut hot chocolate. 

And I'm not sure what my favourite treat would be. I like mince pies but they're not my favourite... Tin of roses? Wll they're not tins any more. They're plastic pots with an alarm on them. It's a very low tech alarm but when you open the box it sounds like you've unleashed some kind of noise making monster. Fortunately you can put the lid on more or less quietly, but you can't have a chocolate without the entire northern hemisphere (or, if you're from the southern hemisphere, that one) being alerted that you will shortly be enjoying chocolate. Personally I enjoy seeing the christmas pudding on fire. When else do you get to set fire to food? Maybe that counts as a treat. Oh I know! I love the feeling when someone opens a present and it's just what they wanted and you can see them going YAY! That is my favourite christmas treat. 

As for movie I'd have to say Ballet Shoes. (The book is better.) But the film is pretty good. Admittedly the ages don't match up and there's a love interest (not for Posy, Petrova or Pauline mercifully) but I still love it. Not as much as the book but if you have a spare couple of hours and feel like Ballet Shoes but you can't finish the book in that time you have an answer. I love when Pauline does her maudition piece with Puck. And the way they all band together and things. My favourite character is Petrova though. I love her perseverance and generosity. And it shows you can be good at something with no natural talent! We don't get enough of that, I think. 

And that's it! 

Merry christmas, if you want to do this tag tell everyone I tagged you if you feel like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment