Tuesday, 23 December 2014

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

At first I didn't like this book much at all. I got about halfway through and stopped... But I picked it back up again last night and took it into the bath (I read better in the bath. I have no idea why, it just happens. I swear if reading in the shower was an option I'd get so much done. But it's not so I can't. Sads.) and while I was in the bath I flew through it. Then I took it to bed and flew through the rest of it.

At the beginning it felt a lot like another dystopian story. Maybe I'm just too quickly post divergent but maybe I'm sort of done with dystopian books right now. Either way I muddled along. I didn't connect to Lena very well possibly because aside from certain obvious things like running I have a lot in common with her. I'm neither naturally rebellious or the type of person who upsets the status quo, but Lena ends up doing both by the end of the book. Lena is a good girl. She gets good grades, she does what is expected of her... I was forcibly reminded of school where I was that girl. And then everything fell apart. For Lena it falls apart in the best way. Even though, you know, it's a disease and suchlike.

I carried on my theme with the nonverbal character, Grace. I love her to bits and I hope she turns up again. I liked that Grace not talking wasn't an enormous plot point although (SPOILER ALERT) I found her talking at the end of the book a little unrealistic. In a high stress situation like that...

I probably have too much of a 'me' hat on thinking about that point though so I'll leave it be.

So at the beginning, the first half I honestly thought I wouldn't get the rest of the series. I've been looking at Delirium for a long time, I was a little disappointed after all I heard about it that it turned out I could take or leave it.

Like I said in my review of Landline I'm not much for love stories. I don't know why, they just irritate me a little, but this one was more story than love story. Sure, boy meets girl, but it's a story about love. And as someone who tends to at least think 'I love you' a hundred times a day I'm very interested in love. Especially platonic and familial love. And there was plenty in this book. Because while the 'cure' ensures you'll never fall in love in a Romeo and Juliet head over heels sort of way it also blocks out (and this is the part I didn't realise until I was almost done) the love between friends and family.

It's not that they don't care any more. They're just detached.

But it creeps me out. A parent not loving their child? That's just... ugh. And it messes with my brain. I might be irritated by love because it gets everywhere, it's all over music and books and movies - they put a love interest into Ballet Shoes for the love of Maude - but honestly a world without love is frankly creepy.

Then again a lot of the 'love' in the songs, stories and films is about sex and we all know that's a different kettle of gerbils all together. Although they do get so tangled sometimes  it gets confusing.

I can kind of understand why, on the back of the book, it is compared to The Handmaid's Tale. But for me it wasn't that. I can see the similarities a little. But it didn't do that much for me. Mind you, The Handmaid's Tale freaked the heck out of me in every way.

So I think I'll carry on with this series, but not for a while. I want to know what happens but at the same time I have a TBR pile, and I want to get through it a bit. I haven't really decided what to read next, I'll just see what I feel like. Part of me wants to start The Hobbit on christmas eve, just because, but I don't know what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment